Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes

I made another recipe using the "purple puree". This recipe was also in the cookbook "the Sneaky chef". The kids liked them a lot. They informed me that they tasted similar to the brownies. (Which is to be expected, it is basically the same recipe with baking powder added and the amounts of the other ingredients just a tad different.)

Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients:
4 TB butter
1/3 C semi sweet chocolate chips
1 Lrg egg
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C sugar
3/4 C purple puree
1/2 C unbleached flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 TB cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions are the same as for the Brainy Brownies, just add the baking powder to the dry ingredients.

We sprinkled ours with powdered sugar, but there is a frosting recipe.

Frosting:
1 C nonfat dry milk
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 C boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry milk and powdered sugar in a bowl, then add boiling water and vanilla. Mix very well. If needed add a little more water, half a teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.

I really like the low sugar content of these cupcakes. I also like that they contain even more of the purple puree than the brownies. I will definitely make these for birthdays or special occasions.

No comments: