Today we finished our school year. Asher is now a 1st grader, Joshua a proud 4th grader and Elliana continues to cruise through Pre-K. It has been a wonderful year and I am excited to start the next journey. Next years books have been ordered and we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Fed Ex man.
I can't believe that this concludes our sixth year of homeschooling. It has been an amazing adventure. I never thought that I would homeschool. Now I can't imagine doing anything else. I am very blessed to not only be their mom, but their teacher as well.
I have been thinking about the typical school year for kids in the United States. The more I think about it the more it bothers me. Kids spend 9 months in school and 3 months doing nothing. So for 1/4 of the year they are not pushing forward in their education. In fact they are falling behind. Teachers know that they have to go back and reteach and review when the next school year begins. I am determined to forgo this back pedaling.
During the summer my kids will be doing an abbreviated form of school. They will have no problem getting their work done before heading outside to play. We will be focusing on math, Spanish, reading, and spelling. Other subjects will be brought in as well.
We have a lot of non-school related activities planned as well. I have no doubt that we will spend many hours on bike rides and at the pool. And just about every weekend is booked with some sort of family activity.
I promise to post pictures when I have the chance. The kids are keeping me pretty busy right now and we will soon be getting an addition to our household....no not a baby...a kitten :)
No comments:
Post a Comment