I am going to address both 2nd and 3rd grade together because they are very similar. We use Sonlight for both years. All the "extras" are the same as last year. As the kids get older I do go in more depth in some areas.
Map work-the first 4 days are simply finding locations on the globe. On Friday my 3rd grader looks up one country he has been studying in the encyclopedia. We might also look up pictures of this country online.
Orchestra-I expect my older child to be able to pick out musical pieces on a more consistent basis than I do my younger ones.
Reading-As soon as my kids can read on their own I encourage them to read great books. I gently nudge them by intentionally doing several things 1. I do my best to keep great books in the house. I spend a great deal of my time researching classic books that I want my kids to read. 2. I make reading time an important part of our day. This coveted time is just as important as math, science, and history. 3. I praise my kids for their ability and accomplishments.
As the kids get older they have more responsibilities as members of our family. It amazes me how easily they pick up on and execute these tasks. When we come in from the snow older brother helps my youngest get out of her coat and boots. These tasks might seem trivial. But in reality they are very important to the growth of my child's character. He sees someone in need of help and he offers it willingly. He is learning to put others before himself.
Spanish-At this point the flashcards are put away and a more in depth approach is taken. Rosetta Stone is a great program for this age.
That is about all I can think of that is different in these years compared to 1st grade.
No comments:
Post a Comment