Monday, December 28, 2009

1st Grade


We use Sonlight Core 1 for our 6 year olds. It is a great curriculum for first grade. Some of the books tackled this year are –

-Pasteur's Fight Against Microbes
-Science Activities, Vol. 1
-From Akebu to Zapotec
-George Müller
-The Greek News
-Missionary Stories with the Millers
-The Usborne Time Traveler
-Detectives in Togas
-Follow My Leader
-Greek Myths for Young Children
-Henry Huggins
-The Wheel on the School
-Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Spanish- Continue using flashcards and add in Rosetta Stone Spanish. Sometimes I make up stories in Spanish and have the kids try and figure out what I am saying.

Explode The Code- My kids keep working through this series. I normally stop at book 4 or 5. At that point they have not needed any extra practice.

Handwriting- A Reason for Handwriting

Art- Art wall, checking out books from the library, and purchasing books that I think are exceptional. We are also using Artistic Pursuits.

Shakespeare-Reading one play per week. Having the boys narrate what I have been reading.

Math- Saxon Math, love the parental involvement!

Library- Continue to check out a ton of books from the library. I let the kids pick out books on topics they are interested in. I also check out books that relate to the topics we will be studying that week.

Map work-Locate at least ten different locations each week.

Piano- Same as last year.

No comments: